The Italian Government has apologised to Nigeria over the burial of 26 women and girls who died in the Mediterranean Sea.

The Nigerian Government had slammed its Italian counterpart for the burial, saying it was unacceptable.

President Muhammadu Buhari’s aide on foreign affairs, Dabiri-Erewa, had said the Italian embassy had earlier informed Nigeria that the deceased would be buried on 26 November, but the girls were buried nine days earlier.

But she said, via a tweet on Wednesday, that the Italian Embassy had apologised for the mix up.

The girls were found dead on a sinking vessel two weeks ago.

And reports suggest that they may have been sexually abused prior to their death.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here